Dynamo helped HTC predict the Gold mobile trend before any rumours on Apple’s ‘Champagne’ Gold device had even surfaced.
Six months after the launch of the HTC One smartphone, Dynamo was called in to help deliver more press for HTC for the best reviewed phone of the year. HTC wanted to position the HTC One as the most stylish, premium and best phone in a highly competitive market dominated by Apple and Samsung. The campaign set out to draw attention to the phone’s metallic uni-body design and utilize key partnerships formed by HTC.
Dynamo was to disrupt the smartphone space by creating the most expensive phones HTC had ever produced, a real gold version that would inject excitement into a maturing market. The team wanted to reach creative millennials and so worked with the MOBO Awards to give the winners of the Best Newcomer Award a gold phone, associating the device with urban success.
- Dynamo helped create the most expensive phone for HTC, with each device worth almost $4,000. Just five in total were produced for MOBO winners, O2 and press
- Dynamo also proposed a Golden Ticket competition for an operator to offer one lucky customer a Gold HTC One. O2 worked with HTC to give away one device in its 472 stores across the UK and Northern Ireland
- The Gold HTC One was launched as a complete surprise to media
- The device was shown to media in a bomb-proof security box, with security guards in attendance to lend an air of exclusivity and disruption to the campaign
- On launch day, coverage appeared in Mail Online, The Wall Street Journal, Mashable, Stuff, T3, The Next Web, The Verge and print coverage in The Times and Daily Star
- Over 425 pieces of coverage appeared for the campaign. Joe.ie lead with the headline ‘Forget the Gold coloured iPhone and try the HTC One made of real gold’. Gizmodo wrote ‘Call that champagne coloured iPhone 5S “gold”? Pffft.’
- Engadget led with the headline ‘O2 plays Willy Wonka with 18ct Gold Phone’
- Stuart Miles from Pocket-lint appeared in an O2 video calling the HTC One ‘the no.1 smartphone of 2013’
- Gold HTC One displayed at Harvey Nichols on the busiest shopping day of the year (19th November)
- Unsigned double act Krept & Konan each won a Gold HTC One with their MOBO and were offered thousands by BBC DJs to sell them
- 15,000 tweets about the device, reaching an audience of 54m people, including tweets from Kanya King, MBE, founder of the MOBOs and Mariah’s Carey’s agent Jermaine Dupri
- In the US, HTC took over Times Square with a campaign to win a Gold HTC One: http://one.htc.com/nyc-US/
our client says
"The Gold HTC One is a true example of an innovative breakthrough campaign that spans across four continents. Initially just signed off for the UK, the internal appetite to take this campaign to more markets has been huge. The fact that so many countries have wanted to replicate the campaign on their own soil is testament its strength in driving broader global brand awareness and interest in the phone."
Julia Herd, Global Directory of PR, HTC